Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Lovely French

Everyone always speaks about how unfriendly the French are.

Let me tell you this. Having nothing but two years of Junior High French under my belt (meaning: almost no knowledge of the language at all):

I have ordered everything from sandwiches to complete meals in Paris.

I have bought (way too much) bread in various bakeries in various towns and cities across France.

I have somehow criss-crossed my way across the country in trains, buses, and taxis.

I have exhaustedly slumped in the seat in a Cafe and mumbled something about a "thé vertor a "café au lait," or if things are really bad and it's a hot day, "rosé s'il vous plaît."

In every instance I have been treated with nothing less than completely polite patience.

They know right away that I am an English speaker (how could they not), and they either switch into MY language in THEIR country, or  - if English is not at their disposal -  they do their best to help me anyway.

Seriously. I have nothing to complain about. In fact, I am endlessly grateful.

Besides that, in the small towns, like where I am, people constantly greet each other. Everyone is so damn friendly.

On the street, in the grocery store, in the cafes, there is a constant exchange of niceties.  A person exiting or entering a restaurant automatically says a general hello or goodbye to anyone who is within earshot.

And then things like this happen:

Mary (passing an elderly couple on the street): Bonjour!

Elderly Lady: Bonjour, ma belle!

Honestly. Can you GET any sweeter than that?

No. No you can not.

No comments:

Post a Comment