Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Glories of Spending Money

The other day as I was fuzzily making some pre-breakfast tea and shoving various pills into my mouth, I noticed with horror that I had - to my well trained eye - about two weeks left of one of my supplements.

It wasn't just any old supplement. It is the one responsible for making me sleep and preventing descents into hysteria; which, when I reluctantly do retrospectives in the interest of self knowledge, always seem intensely illogical and absurdly random. As, I suppose, is only natural.

There are times when I can do without it, but this period of my life does not happen to be one of them. I really don't want to expose a sleep deprived, hysterical, manic version of myself to the poor natives. Tourists might end up being banned from the area. Add my turquoise hair to the mix, and an attempt might be made to exorcize me.

Therefore, I went into damage prevention mode and started re-searching the various options at my disposal.

Quite possibly this led to a few hours of completely-unrelated-to-my-research "window" shopping in the depths the UK version of the Amazon website. Canada's version of Amazon is really sub-par.

Realizing that I could interact with a real human being and get what I needed, I went to the Pharmacy in Harakopio. The Pharmacist greeted me with a rush of Greek, I apologetically announced my North-Americaness, and she apologized profusely for not recognizing that fact. Apparently she can always tell the Greek from the non-Greek, and she just assumed I was Greek.

I explained what I needed, and as she did some phoning, I poked around. A flood of intense excitement almost laid me prostrate: one whole section of the store was devoted to Korres - a Greek make up and body care line.

Besides smelling heavenly, being of excellent quality, and having fabulous packaging, the whole line also happens to be free of a whole host of disturbing things, including parabens and PEGs and SLES and ALES....and other things.

Honestly, I have no idea what any of those things are, but magazines tell me they are harmful.

I went into a frenzy of perfume smelling, and lip balm sampling, and bronzer testing.

One thing led to another, and it became irrevocably obvious, and perhaps essential to my well-being that I purchase the White Tea/Bergamot/Freesia Perfume (for night-time wear), the Jasmine Body Spray (for day-time wear), and a make-up package designed to highlight the green in my eyes.

With an intense sense of well-being, fortified by the Pharmacists assurance that my order would be in tomorrow afternoon, I left the Pharmacy.

Yes, I thought, as I settled down to a warm cup of coffee, I could live here. What else does one need of life, but to be able to control one's insanity and smell delicious?

Absolutely nothing, that's what.





3 comments:

  1. Your writing is so melodious.

    I'm brought right back to that street in Trastevere, where the door to Sephora sat nestled between two less fascinating stores. All that makeup, so little money. Thank God for samples. I would usually fall behind on the treks there, lost in thought and easily distracted, while you and Lana forged the path (and occassionally got distracted, yourselves, by a leather purse or two).

    You probably look like a splendid Hera-esque goddess with that eye makeup. I would demand pictures, but I suspect photographing yourself is not something you enjoy. How does it bring out the green? Is it sort of a green/gold hybrid?

    Be well. Good luck fending off all bouts and hysteria! Maybe you can give me some tips on exactly how to do so, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yours is gold - your writing that is....you underground woman, you.

    I love your blog. I will visit it everyday, to see if you have posted something transcendent and infinitely beautiful.

    A tall order, I know. But one which, I am confident, of anyone I know, you will be able to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well well well, my biggest fan.

    I've never blogged before aside from that collective psychology class blog I showed you. I used to occassionally submit, as a guest, a picture or a quote to a blog call The Star Thrower, but whoever the author/moderator was seems to have disappeared, unfortunately.
    I expect to still stick to mostly quotes, but maybe occasional independent writing will take place. "The blogger" site still confuses me a little.

    My, you've set the bar high, haven't you.

    p.s. Can we not reply to individual comments on here?

    ReplyDelete