Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bugs

I am having a really hard time with the bugs here. Not that they are absolutely excessive, but still. I struggle.

Before bed, among other things, I have taken to lifting my blankets up off my bed so that I can inspect the mattress. Just to make sure that there are no spiders or centipedes crawling about. I have found nothing there yet (knock on wood), but it is now part of my normal routine.

I used to do this when I was a little girl as well, for quite a....few years. It started when I sneaked into the living room where my parents were watching Star Treck; I arrived just at the point where one of the guys sees the foot of his bed moving, and discovers a huge pile of nasty worms there.

It was traumatizing. So, not only did I used to check the foot of my bed, I slept with my knees curled up to my chest. Even when my legs started to ache, and I just wanted to turn over onto my tummy and fall asleep, I wouldn't let my feet escape down towards the foot of the bed.

Yesterday evening I stepped into the shower, only to look up and see some sort of long bug nestled in the corner of shower cubicle right above my head. I froze for a few seconds, and then, decided in a spurt of bravery, that since I was already wet, I might as well finish my shower and then deal with the bug.

I kept my eye on the gross thing the whole time I was shampooing and conditioning, and believe me, if it had moved a millimeter I would have been OUT OF THERE.

When the time came for dealing with it, I was armed. I had a broom and a roll of toilet paper. I knocked the bug from the corner (and squealed when it plopped down), and then then I unraveled almost a full roll of toilet paper (why yes, I too I am concerned with the environment) so that I could cover the bug and squish it. I stared at the pile of toilet paper for quite some time, trying to get up the nerve to  reach down and squish, but I couldn't do it. I knew that if I felt any semblance of bug beneath my hand (and now, for some reason, I have "Wind Beneath my wings stuck in my head - Weird Al, I have a new song for you!), I would lose it.

SO,  I ran to get my shoes, and when I had them on, I stomped. And it made the most terrible crunching sound, at which I yelped (possibly in a very high pitched fashion), and started to feel queasy. Then I put the wad of toilet paper into its own trash bag, tied a few knots on it, and buried it in the trash bin.

All I could think was:
a) This is what boys are for.
b) I really need some chocolate.

And then, most disturbingly:

c) HOW did I get this way?

I might not want to know.




2 comments:

  1. You're not alone.

    Also: I love that your parents were watching, of all things, Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. Well Meaghen, her parents were watch Star TREK (ahem Mary).

    Mary- you surprise me. You should ALWAYS have a shoe with you right away. And don't put it on...well I guess if you don't have any on-it is recommended that put a pair on, but you have an extra bug killing one in your hand. Anyway, you slap the shoe on the bug to kill it and then use the toilet paper. 1. Slapping the bug with a shoe is much better than stepping on it because you only hear the crunch...not feel it. Not to mention that can keep your body an arms length away. 2. Once it's dead it's easier to pick it up with toilet paper without actually feeling it.

    ReplyDelete